Employment Law

Cascades laying off 310 employees, closing Trenton, Belleville plants

A closed sign. Cascades is closing its Trenton and Belleville locations.

Packaging company Cascades Inc. is laying off 310 employees and shutting down operations at its Trenton and Belleville plants in Ontario, the business announced on Feb. 13.

The Quebec-based company plans to close the two locations, plus a converting plant in Newtown, Connecticut, by May 31.

Unifor Local 1470 represents 116 of the approximately 150 employees in Trenton, while Independent Paperworkers of Canada Local 7 represent some of the 80 staff working at the Belleville facility.

Cascades claims the closure is the result of “the current market environment, higher operating costs, aging technology and the need for significant capital investment.”

Charles Malo, president and CEO of Cascades, thanked the “Cascaders” affected by the layoffs, and said that the company will “stand by them through this process,” and will “assist in the relocation of those employees wishing to continue working for Cascades at one of our other locations.”

Severance Packages for Non-union Cascades Employees

In Canada, non-unionized employees at Cascades Inc. are owed full severance pay when they lose their job due to downsizing, corporate restructuring, or the closure of the business.

This includes individuals working full-time, part-time, or hourly.

People working “on contract” or as a contractor may also be owed severance pay — given that many employees in Canada are often misclassified as independent contractors.

Severance pay can be as much as 24 months’ paydepending on a number of factors.

WATCH: Employment lawyer Lior Samfiru explains why you are still owed severance if you have been downsized on an episode of the Employment Law Show.


Don’t sign on the dotted line!

Before you accept any severance offer, double-check the amount using our firm’s free Severance Pay Calculator. It has helped millions of Canadians determine their entitlements.

  • NOTE: In addition to your salary, make sure to consider any other compensation elements (such as bonuses and commissions) and the working notice you received, which is the time between when you were informed of your termination and the actual termination date.

If your employer didn’t provide you with the correct amount, it’s very likely that you have been wrongfully dismissed and should contact an experienced employment lawyer at Samfiru Tumarkin LLPDo not sign any deadline offer from your employer until you have spoken to our team. Once you sign back the offer, you lose your right to negotiate a fair package.

Non-unionized employees in Canada have up to two years from the date of their dismissal to pursue proper severance pay.

• Severance for provincially regulated employees
• Rights to severance for tech sector staff
• Severance packages during mass layoffs

Pocket Employment Lawyer

Questions about your employment rights? Use our free interactive tool to get fast answers

Get Answers Now

Severance Pay for Unionized Cascades Employees

If you are a unionized employee working for Cascades in Canada, you must consult your union for guidance on severance pay.

This is because the collective bargaining agreement negotiated between the union and your employer determines the size of your severance package.

Only your union, not an employment lawyer, is responsible for representing you in such matters!

Samfiru Tumarkin LLP doesn’t provide employment law consultations or representation for unionized employees in Canada.

  • NOTE: If you are a unionized worker, and your long-term disability (LTD) claim has been denied, we might be able to help.

Lost your job? Talk to an employment lawyer

If you have been fired or let go for any reason, contact the experienced employment law team at Samfiru Tumarkin LLP (excluding Quebec).

Our lawyers in Ontario, Alberta, and B.C. have successfully represented tens of thousands of non-unionized individuals.

In addition to severance package negotiations, we can assist you on a broad range of employment matters, including:

If you are a non-unionized employee who needs help with a workplace issue, contact us or call 1-855-821-5900 to get the advice you need and the compensation you deserve.

Get What You're Owed

Our employment lawyers in Ontario, Alberta, and B.C. are ready to provide you with the advice you need and the compensation you deserve

Get Help Now

Advice You Need. Compensation You Deserve.

Consult with Samfiru Tumarkin LLP. We are one of Canada's most experienced and trusted employment, labour and disability law firms. Take advantage of our years of experience and success in the courtroom and at the negotiating table.

Get help now